I am excited to share today’s card, because I am quite pleased with the results. Let’s get right to it.
Instead of using all the layers of the Color Layering Koi, I used only two of the layers for two reasons. First I wanted the base color to be the color of the water color paper which is a creamy white, second, I wanted to paint the colors to avoid the cookie cutter look. 🙂
- Place Koi fish frame cut (Hero Arts Color Layering Koi Frame Cut) on watercolor paper upside down, trace the outline with pencil.
- Wet the area with plain water, then drop/paint in corresponding colors in desired areas. Let dry, stamp the second layer (outline and scale of the Color Layering Koi) with Wet Cement on one fish and Black on the other. Stamp the last layer (eyes and lip) in Black. Die cut. Use marker to add whisker. Note that the whisker is on the first layer which I skipped, I could have just omit it, but chose to manually add it back.
- Stamp water lilies outline with Antique Linen on watercolor paper, paint the center with water colors. Use a white coloring pencil and color the petals slightly. Die cut using matching frame cut.
- For the leaves, paint different shades of green on water color paper. Let dry. Stamp the vein in Peeled Paint, then the base layer in Old Paper. Die cut using matching frame cut.
- For the base panel, I went the whole piece of card stock ( Elizabeth Craft Design Soft Finish, 85lb) with plain water, then draw circles alternating between two different shades of blue and a bit of green. Let dry. Stamp waves in Old Paper and bubbles in Broken China.
- Stamp ‘hello’ (Hero Arts Color Layering Orchid In a Pot) in Broken China.
- Adhere base panel to card front, then adhere all the elements as shown.
Here’s a few photos taken during the process.
Here’s the “beauty shot”.
Our April challenge theme is Getting To Know You (use your favorite Hero Arts products on your projects), and my favorite Hero Arts products are their stamps. Come join in the fun, you could win a $25 gift card to the store by entering to the challenge.
Remember when shopping at the a2z store, use my code Cindy15 to get 15% off any purchases $25 and more (shipping excluded) at check out. If you don’t find the item in the store, just click the blue Request Custom Order button on the left side bar.
Hero Arts Frame Cuts – Color Layering Koi
Hero Arts Mid-tone Shadow Ink – Wet Cement
Ranger Distress Ink – Old Paper, Antiuqe Linen, Broken China, Peeled Paint
Daniel Smith Watercolor Sheet
Memento Pigment Ink – Tuxedo Black
white coloring pencil
markers – Dark Grey, Black